Sunday, February 3, 2013

Tutoring perks


During one tutoring session we discussed the English words used in Baseball, who knew my sports vocabulary would come in so handy? Kept the attention of my otherwise easily distracted 12 year old the whole 45 min. One of my favorite tutoring sessions is with a High Schooler and its my favorite because he's working on conversational English instead of grammar and guck : ) One night he got me started on American Civil Rights and the KKK and then we took a crazy sidetrack into communism and the Vietnam war - all of which is fabulous material for his vocabulary expansion. LOVE my job and history : ) This candy thing was given to me by one of my group tutoring students. There are about three kids who always bring me some sort of treat. So cute!
S- Tutoring is so much fun but I had no idea English was so hard! Have you ever tried to teach someone how to spell boil? It's not easy I get them to say B k now say oi then say LLL put it together it comes out B oilay  i even had them put their fingers around their mouth so they could only make an o sound and still it didn't sound like boil! You just have no idea how difficult English is until you are teaching it for the first time and the kids are like what in the world???

1 comment: