Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Primary School Prize Giving


            After 10min the kids attention spans were shot : ) poor kids sitting their on the floor. At least it was in their native language though… my attention span only last a little longer than theirs : )
            I had to consider the kids receiving the awards and ask how much of their disseverance is based upon natural skill and ability and what the reality is of their circumstance as almost ALL who received awards were from English speaking homes or homes were there was a teacher in the home.
 
            Auntie Letoa asked to stand up and dance during the intermission and I thought about doing the sprinkler or washing machine… they would have loved that! : ) but alas I don’t like drawing attention to myself. So I just did some simple poly hand movements I’ve picked from my island trips. I always feel so stiff dancing Samoan o Tongan but that’s the way its supposed to be, for he girls dancing anyways. Sister Letoa also asked me to hand out her classes awards. That was sweet of her.  

            One family brought 2 laundry baskets full of lei’s. It was commented on that they are supporting their children. Sister Obley added that she never bought any lollys for these sorts of occasions because it’s a waste of money and everyone else always brings so many that she always has some to give (as is evident from the picture of her standing with her son Ray who is drowning in Leis). Most Palagi find Samoans extravagant. I suppose they are, considering their circumstances, but then I think about some Americans Christmases and they don’t seem to be all that extravagant. It’s more an exchange system anyways. You always give but you also run the high chance of receiving as well. Kinda like Christmas again : )

            Our family cars would fit in well here. On Li’i’s taxi one door opens from the inside not the outside, one from the outside not the inside, one doesn’t lock and one opens from the outside but is missing its handle so you have to know the trick to getting it open.
            Never, in my whole life, have I resented a fat person. I resent the Bishop. He eats what we save for others and he’s going to die soon and leave his children fatherless- this all seems so selfish. Like I have any right to judge while lugging around my extra tires : ) but it still just irritates me. I think health and weight is something that will be a bigger deal after death than we think. Consequences for food never seem immediate but they are part of our agency that doesn’t get used wisely to often (at least in Bishop and I’s cases).

1 comment:

  1. That is an interesting thought - what role will food play in the afterlife? I think that for some folks food is an addiction and that addiction would stay with them. Well, at least I think so...

    ReplyDelete