Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Graduation and goodbye


Ray the Svictorian, Gareth the sports award, and the Vvictorian
Mala Me and Sister Fiu
  Sia and I
    The Budgetts and Osborns

        I know I wont be remember for much here in Samoa but I have helped with things I didn’t expct to – Like Sister Obleys remarks for the graduation ceremony. I drafted them with her and then typed and printed them. The theme of graduation was “over come your inner-self, for it is not the end; it’s a climb” and the song used was by  Miley Cyrus “The climb.” I was sitting there thinking, oh that’s a nice theme and it just hit me that the whole thing was for me. Kaley. Its not the end you should be focused on by the climb. Chad Berbert, USA diplomat and embassy representative, helped me realize this even more as I listened to his remarks. He said he was valavictorian for his class and looking back, he said this while tearing up, h realized he could say ‘Young Chad,  you have no idea what your life will be like.’ He said he’s learned two things from life. 1-relationships matter and determine success of life 2- education is key- work hard at making yourself smart. In closing he said that all 311 million citizens of America congratulate the graduates as Americas citizens have authority to President Obama, who gave authority to the man over Chad, who gave it to him. It was a cool way to end a speech.
            I met a lady who said her and her husband live here while her kids live in American Samoa. Her reasoning for leaving them there was because school and school lunch is free. I don’t know all the circumstances or understand everything but I feel that parents will one day be responsible for not raising the children that God gave them.
I stayed with the Mulitalos my last night and I visited to the Paremores. It was the right thing to do, visit the Paramores, and yet I had no desire to do it. Not because I was scared or angry or whatever I just have a feeling of already saying goodbye to them. Pura was very grateful I came to say goodbye. And when hugging me goodbye said into my ear “I’m sorry.” I’m sorry too and I’m not even sure what for.

No comments:

Post a Comment